OnePlus today rolled out the first Open Beta of Android 9.0 Pie for the OnePlus 6. An open beta means OnePlus 6 owners can sideload the update on their device manually if they wish to experience the latest version of Android on their device.
OnePlus had already previously released a few Developer Preview builds of Android P for the OnePlus 6 but they were highly unstable in nature and lacked many of the OxygenOS features. The Open Beta build of Android Pie for the OnePlus 6 should be much better in this regard, though it is also likely to have some bugs and issues.
Below is the change-log of the update as per OnePlus:
- Update system to Android™ 9.0 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android P
- New Android P gesture navigation
- Other new features and system improvements
- Integrated OnePlus customization features
- Supported accent color customization
- New Do Not Disturb mode with adjustable settings
- New Gaming Mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Some applications may not function as expected when running on this beta version
- Google Pay service is not working
- Google Play Store might show “Device is not Certified by Google”
OnePlus is not rolling out the Android Pie Open Beta as an OTA update for OnePlus 6 owners. Instead, interested users will have to manually download the OTA file and sideload it on their device. Once they are on the beta channel though, they should receive future updates to the Android Pie Open Beta build via OTA.
Given that OnePlus has started an Open beta Android Pie program for the OnePlus 6, the final stable build of Android 9 for the device should go live by the end of this month.[Via OnePlus]