OnePlus has started rolling out the OxygenOS 5.1.9 update for the OnePlus 6 that brings about some massive improvements to camera quality. In a bid to constantly refine the smartphone experience, the company is making some improvements to its image processing.
What kind of camera quality improvements are we talking about here? OnePlus says there’s improvement in dynamic range and image clarity, overall focusing speed and accuracy, and improved edge detection in Portrait mode.
Overall, while these are solid camera improvements, you should not expect the OnePlus 6 camera to become a Pixel-killer post the update as well and should keep your expectations in check. It also remains to be seen if the update improves the low-light imaging quality of the OnePlus 6 by a noticeable margin or not.
Apart from camera quality, the update also brings Google Lens integration to the camera app. This means that you can use the camera app to recognize objects and landmarks in your viewfinder using machine learning and AI power of Google Lens.
The full change-log of the update is as follows:
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.7
- Fixed issues with accidental touches triggering gestures ( Draw V)
- Supported Telia Finland VoLTE (Default On) and VoWifi (Default Off)
- General bug fixes and improvements
- Improved image quality
- Integrated Google Lens mode
- Now you can access Google lens from your camera with a tap and Google Lens will tell you what’s in the image, giving you information about things like books, buildings, and works of art etc.
- Added beauty mode for Selfie Portrait
- Added Group MMS
- Wireless & networks
- Optimized stability for Wi-Fi connection
- Fixed stability issue with the Bluetooth connection for cars
OnePlus says that the Google Lens integration will also make its way to the OnePlus 5 and 5T via a future software update as well.
As always, OnePlus is going to roll out the update in stages so it is going to take a couple of weeks for the update to show up on your device.
How satisfied are you with the OnePlus 6 camera performance? Do you think there’s room for improvement?