As a Christmas gift for OnePlus 5 owners, OnePlus has started rolling out OxygenOS 5.0 based on Android 8.0 Oreo for the OnePlus 5. The Oreo update brings a number of goodies to the 5 including Picture-in-Picture, Redesigned Quick Settings and Ambient Display, and more.
The final stable build of Android 8,0 Oreo for the OnePlus 5 after a couple of beta builds of OxygenOS for the handset. OnePlus had initially promised to roll out Oreo for the OnePlus 5 in early 2017 but it has managed to outdo itself by rolling out the update ahead of its promised timeframe.
OnePlus has made some notable improvements to OxygenOS 5.0 with the Oreo update as well. This includes a new UI for the Camera app, improvements in image quality, a new beauty effect for Portrait mode, and more. Other handy features that were previously seen on the OnePlus 3T and the OnePlus 5T which are also making their way to the OnePlus 5 with this update include Parallel Apps and redesigned Lift Up Display.
The full change-log of the update is as follows:
- Updated to Android O (8.0)
- Optimizations for Shelf
- Now you can upload your photo through Shot on OnePlus
- New Camera UI design
- Optimizations for photo quality
- Added beauty effect for Portrait Mode
- Added “Places” tab for viewing photos on a map
- Added history feature
- Added alarm calendar feature
- Added Parallel Apps feature
- New design for Quick Settings
- New design for Lift up display
- Added “Adaptive model” screen calibration
- Optimizations for Wi-Fi
- Optimizations for Battery Saver
- Updated Android security patch to December
The update does not bring Face Unlock to the OnePlus 5 as seen on the OnePlus 5T. However, OnePlus CEO Carl Pei has confirmed that the handset will get the Face Unlock feature in due time.
The OTA is being rolled out in batches by OnePlus so it won’t show up immediately on your 5. Instead, its likely to show up sometime within the next two weeks provided OnePlus does not get any negative feedback regarding the rollout.[Via OnePlus]