In April, it was revealed that Android 5.1 would be landing on the NVIDIA-branded Shield Tablet and Portable at some point in the future.
For any Shield Portable owners out there, the Android 5.1 update is now arriving, and there are some noteworthy additions in the new software. The first is an addition to the device, bringing Chromecast support to the device. Here’s the full breakdown:
- Upgrade to the latest Lollipop OS
- Fixes a bug that does not allow books to be read in the Google Play Books app
- Permanently removes Sonic 4, Episode II, Expendable: Rearmed, and Android Browser
- Adds support for Chromecast
- Enables SHIELD portable as a source device for Chromecast or any Google Cast Ready device connected to your TV
- Miracast is no longer supported
- Updates Twitch app with latest version
NVIDIA does note that this update will remove some games, including Sonic 4 Episode II, Expendables: Rearmed, and will also remove the Android browser as well. However, NVIDIA also indicates that this is an optional update, so if users don’t want to lose the games, don’t care about Chromecast support, or Android 5.1, they don’t have to install it.