It’s time for the Galaxy S5 rumor mill to die. The Korean giant has finally unveiled the Galaxy S5 here at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The handset comes with quite a few new technological advances and in typical Samsung style is packed to the brim with features.
The Galaxy S5 has the same design language as its predecessor but sports a bigger screen with much more squared corners. The IP67 certification means that the latest Galaxy from Samsung is dust-resistant and waterproof in up to 1M of water.
Below are the full specs of the handset:
- 5.1-inch Super-AMOLED display with Full HD resolution
- Snapdragon 801 processor clocked at 2.5GHz, Adreno 330 GPU
- 3GB RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot
- 16MP F/2.2 rear-facing camera with UHD video recording
- 2.1MP front-facing camera
- Wi-Fi b/g/n/ac with 2*2 MIMO configuration
- Bluetooth 4.0 + LE, NFC, GPS with A-GPS and Cat 4 LTE
- Accelerometer, Barometer, Infrared Blaster, Thermometer and a Heart Rate Monitor
- Fingerprint scanner integrated into the home button
- S-Health 3.0
- microUSB 3.0 port
- Ultra Power Saving Mode allowing the phone to last up to 24 hours with only 10% of battery power
- Android 4.4 KitKat with a new version of TouchWiz
- 2800mAh removable battery
Samsung has re-done the TouchWiz UI on the Galaxy S5 so that it adheres to the Holo guidelines and is much more flatter looking. It has also focused on the camera on the S5 and has included quite a few goodies including the ability to record HDR videos, selective focus and a much more simple to use Camera app. The camera sensor also takes a mere 0.3 seconds to focus on any subject, which the company claims is the fastest on the market right now.
The Galaxy S5 will go on sale in April and will be available in an array of colors including charcoal Black, shimmery White, electric Blue and copper Gold.