While Samsung is yet to divulge the details behind the batteries inside the Galaxy Note 7 exploding, a design engineering firm called Instrumental has done its own internal assessment on one unit of the handset and reached its own conclusion. According to the company’s CEO Anna-Katrina Shedletsky, the design of the Note 7 compressed the battery even during regular use that eventually led to the battery inside it exploding.
Galaxy Note 7
Its been almost two months since Samsung pulled the plug on the Galaxy Note 7 due to the explosion fiasco. The company has since then reassured its customers through multiple forms of communications that it will be working on improving consumer safety of its products. The Korean company also promised that it would be publicly sharing the reason behind the Note 7 units exploding, which was first blamed on faulty batteries.
In a bid to regain customer confidence after the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, Samsung has published full-page ads in the Monday editions of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post. The ad is actually a letter from Samsung’ North America president and CEO Gregory Lee in which he apologizes for the whole Note 7 fiasco.
In a short update, Samsung today announced that nearly 85 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners in the United States have replaced their device through the company’s refund and exchange program. It notes that the majority of Note 7 owners went for another Samsung smartphone only.
The Galaxy Note 7 fiasco has hurt Samsung’s bottom line big time. The company reported a 96% drop in its quarterly operating profit on a yearly basis, with its share prices dropping to 2014 levels. Worse, without any upcoming flagship handset, Samsung will have to get by this holiday season by selling its six months old Galaxy S7 and S7 edge.
Samsung Launches Upgrade Program to Galaxy S8 or Galaxy Note 8 for Galaxy Note 7 Customers in South Korea
Samsung has launched a special upgrade program in South Korea, its home market, where it will be offering customers who ‘downgrade’ to the Galaxy S7 or S7 edge from their recalled Galaxy Note 7 a discount when they purchase the Galaxy S8 or Galaxy Note 8 next year. A Samsung spokesperson said that this upgrade program from the company is aimed at “lightening the burden” on frustrated and disappointed Galaxy Note 7 owners.
Wall Street Journal reports that Samsung’s haste decision to recall the Galaxy Note 7 on preliminary laboratory reports played a key role in the company ultimately killing the handset for good. When reports about Galaxy Note 7 exploding started popping up from various parts of the world, Samsung engineers scrambled to find the exact cause of the problem.
Samsung’s special treatment to Chinese customers in the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco has not gone down well with consumers in the country. When Samsung initially recalled the Galaxy Note 7, it said that the recall was not applicable in China since the handsets sold there used a battery that was supplied by a different vendor. However, when reports emerged about Note 7 exploding in China and other parts of the world, Samsung decided to pull the plug on the Note 7 completely and recall all the 2.5million + units it had sold worldwide.