Earlier today, OnePlus rolled out the first Open beta of OxygenOS based on Android 9.0 Pie for the OnePlus 6. The Open Beta comes after OnePlus released Developer Preview builds of Android P for the handset at regular intervals. Compared to the DP, the Open Beta packs more features and its more stable in nature as well.
An Open beta release also means that OnePlus is tirelessly working on bringing the latest version of Android to its current flagship device. Being an Open Beta though, OnePlus is not rolling out the Android 9.0 Pie update to all OnePlus 6 units out there via an OTA update. Instead, it requires users to sideload the update manually on their device.
If you own a OnePlus 6 and are interested in trying out the Open beta of OxygenOS based on Android 9.0 Pie for the OnePlus 6, check out the steps below.
Things to Note
- The below guide assumes your OnePlus 6 is running the latest build of OxygenOS based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
- Your data will not be touched during the upgrade process but it is still recommended that you backup your important files before proceeding with the steps below.
- You can downgrade back to Android Oreo but the process will wipe clean your OnePlus 6.
- Make sure to have at least 50 percent charge on your OnePlus 6 before starting the installation process.
- Since this is an Open Beta build, it is bound to have some bugs so if stability is of prime importance, you should wait it out.
How to Install Android 9.0 Pie Open Beta on OnePlus 6
Step 1: Head over to OnePlus’ forum and download the Android Pie OxygenOS Open Beta build for the OnePlus 6. The file is over 1.5GB big and if you have a slow connection, the download will take its own sweet time to complete. Once done, transfer this file to the root of the internal storage of the device.
Step 2: On your OnePlus 6, head over to Settings -> System Updates. Tap the settings icon on the top right corner followed by Local Upgrade. From the file explorer window, select the OxygenOS zip file you transferred to the device in the previous step. Proceed to tap Install Now to commence the installation process.
Step 3: Once the first step of the installation process is complete, you will have to tap the Reboot Now button to restart your OnePlus 6 and complete the installation process.
Once your device restarts, you will be able to enjoy the latest build of Android on your OnePlus 6.
Facing any issues while installing the Open Beta of Android 9.0 Pie on the OnePlus 6? Drop a comment and we will help you out.Like this post? Share it!