T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint’s Galaxy Note 7 Units Will Stop Working By January 8th

After Samsung announced that it would be killing all Galaxy Note 7 units in the United States within 30 days, all major carriers have gone ahead and announced the dates on which they plan to roll out an OTA update that will disable charging on the phone and disable their mobile network functionality.

All carriers, however, will be rolling out the update post-Christmas to ensure that you don’t end up with a non-functional phone in the midst of the holiday season. T-Mobile will be the first carrier to start rolling out the update on December 27th, with AT&T following the Un-carrier on January 5. Sprint will be the last carrier to roll out the update on January 8th. Verizon has already confirmed that it will not be rolling out this software update as it could pose an added risk to Note 7 owners who do not have any other replacement device on hand.

Samsung has confirmed that it has already received 93 percent of all the Note 7 units it had sold in the United States, and this upcoming OTA update is intended to remove the remaining 7 percent of devices from the market.

All Note 7 owners can still return their device to their respective carrier and get a replacement device or a full replacement.

Samsung has already rolled out a similar update for the Galaxy Note 7 in New Zealand and Australia that limited the charging capability of the handset and disabled mobile network on it.

[Via CNet]

Like this post? Share it!

Related Topics: Galaxy Note 7