The 4MP ‘UltraPixel’ camera on the HTC One M8 has received a lot of mixed reaction from reviewers and users alike. While some think that the camera is downright awful, other think that it is good enough to get the job done.
A developer over at XDA forums — Jishnu Sur — has created a mod that aims to further improve the camera performance of the One M8, provided you have root access on it.
The mod improves not only the overall image quality, but also increases the video bitrate to 35Mbps, which leads to a noticeable improvement in quality. The full feature list of the mod is below:
- Made the Video Bitrates to CBR [Constant Bitrate] 35Mbps.
- Added action scene.
- Added flash and self timer in burst scene mode.
- Support For flash in EIS Scene mode.
- Added flash for night mode.
- Removed The fixed resolution limit for panorama shots.
- Flash support added for panorama shots.
- Self timer support added for Panorama shots.
- Support speed increase to 1/9000 and set the minimum shutter speed to 1/100.
- Modified Media profiles for better Audio Quality.
- JPEG Quality Bumped to 95
- Removed the Harcoded Bitrate Limited by HTC.
- Sound Bitrates Improved from 156kbps to 192kbps for clearer and louder sound while recording.
- Better Color Reproduction in all Manual, Auto and HDR modes.